Hello and welcome to another What I ate Wednesday.
Unfortunatley, I’ve been struck down by Ben’s Man Flu. As I’m a woman though, I guess it should be ‘Bird Flu’ (do you see what I did there?!?!) or perhaps, just a cold.
But my food on Monday – the first day I felt really, truly bad – probably reflects how rubbish I was feeling. Still not feeling great (though better than I was) so without further ado, the food:
- Breakfast: My new favourite thing is this chocolate almond milk from Alpro. Ben spotted it in the supermarket, and just, WOW! When I make chocolate milk I don’t add any sweeteners, so it ends up quite bitter. Nice, but not as satisfying as this delicious choc milk. I made porridge with it, and added in some cherries from a jar – black forest oats if you will. I served an egg (cooked no oil) on top because I saw it on a blog last week and really fancied it.
- Snack: When I got into work I saw an open packet of chocolate hob nobs. Not usually one for cookies, I was feeling sorry for myself so I had half of one with my coffee.
- Snack: I hadn’t planned on a morning snack, I’ve not been eating them recently, but I had some strawberries that needed eating. However, my tummy was really grumbling (despite the larger protein breakfast and half a biscuit) so I went to the shop at work and bought a yogurt to dip the strawberries into. I know, I know, breaking my vegan rule 2/3 times (I guess I’d better count the cookie).
- Exercise: Because I had a couple of snacks I was able to get in a bit of exercise before I devoured my lunch. I went to a pilates class at lunchtime. She had us doing bodyweight exercises – focusing on bridge movements and waist exercises. I managed the whole class without a sneeze – which was impressive on Monday!!
- Lunch: By the time I got back to my desk I was hungry again, so I ate my lunch. I made a guac-ummus (avocado and chickpeas) dip, which I spread on a super thin wrap, served with some carrots, a handful of kale chips and an apple:
with the kale chips and apple:
yes, one of the carrots had been eaten by then.
- Snack: My snack to prepare me for the gym was a slice of sprouted wheat bread. I fancied something sweet, so again an unplanned Beond acai berry bite – it was only a small 15g one 🙂
- Exercise: Ok, possibly not the best idea, but I wanted to sweat out the cold, so I went to BodyPump and followed it up with X-biking. Actually, when I was sweating, I wasn’t snuffling, and the endorphins made me feel lots better.
- Dinner: When I got home it was time for a quick dinner, zoodles (courgette/zucchini noodles) in a tomato and mushroom sauce with onion and garlic (for the cold) sprinkled with nutritional yeast and a dash of sriracha sauce.
I also had a couple of these through the day:
So there you have it – much more to eat than a normal day.
Do you eat more when you’re poorly, or does it put you off your food? What’s your favourite comfort food when you are unwell?
Tagged: apple, avocado, Beond, blackforest, BodyPump, breakfast, Cherry, chickpeas, cold, courgette, dinner, exercise, kale chips, Lunch, oats, Poorly, snacks, sprouted wheat bread, What I ate Wednesday, WIAW, wrap, x-biking, zoodles