Regular readers of my blog will know that I am eating a plant based/vegan diet, so why the big deal about National Vegetarian Week – well, because Ben is still a very happy meat eater.
It’s hard to believe now, but he wasn’t a very happy chappy when I first mooted the idea of a Meat Free Monday – but he has embraced the idea, and is happy with his one vegetarian day a week.
When I suggested a week of vegetarian meals – well, I got a similiar reaction.
BUT, I cook all the evening meals, so unless he was up for grilling a chicken breast on the side, a vegetarian week it was.
So, here you have it. A week of husband-approved-meat-free meals.
And a special WELL DONE to Ben who went 5 days without meat (unless you were sneaking it in when I wasn’t around…???)
I made a batch of vegetarian lentil ragu on Meal Prep Sunday – and this set me up well for the week:
- Monday: Lentil and vegetable curry made with the lentil ragu, spiced with curry flavours. Rice, poppadoms and naan bread to fill him up, and make the meal more…special.
- Tuesday: Homemade pizza. I made my own pizza base and topped it with tomato sauce, and lots of veg – sweetcorn, red pepper and broccoli. With a spinach and carrot side salad drizzled with a tahini dressing. Leftover pizza went to work with him.
- Wednesday: Stuffed pointed red pepper. I used leftover rice from the night before, along with some farro and lentil ragu, to stuff a pepper, and topped with cheese. Served on a bed of spinach, sweetcorn and carrot.
- Thursday: By Thurday Ben was asking if he could have meat for dinner. He didn’t persist after I said no 🙂 I made, peanut stir fry – I bought a bag of noodles selling off at the supermarket and made a peanut sauce, and threw in some caramelised sesame peanuts. Ben loves anything peanut – so he was happy. And I made a concession and gave him prawn crackers on the side.
- Friday: Lentil pasta bake. This is a typical meat-free-Monday meal. Topped with crunchy crumbs and cheese – Ben is happy with a bowl of lentil pasta. Another spinach and carrot side salad to go with it.
We had a party on Saturday, so the Vegetarian week was a Vegetarian working week for Ben. 5 days seemed enough 🙂
I think I made up for a lack of meat with copius amounts of vegetables and carbs. BUT then, the calories that are being lost need to come from somewhere.
What are your meat-eater approved vegetarian choices? Could you go Vegetarian for a week?