Hello! Welcome to another What I ate Wednesday. And in true style, I left it to the last minute today. At least I managed to capture a day’s eats yesterday though!
It’s been in the news that our recommended 5 a day (portions of fruit and veg that is) isn’t enough and should be more like 7-10 portions. I go through phases, and can sometimes get as many as 8 or more portions in (8x80g = 640g of fruit and veg). We discussed it at work in the morning, I was pleased to notice I was on a high veggie day 🙂
So what did I eat?
- Breakfast was protein porridge. I soaked some jumbo oats in almond milk overnight with some frozen banana, by the morning it was all mushy and yummy. I added some egg white, and cooked it on the hob until the egg white was cooked. I was feeling in a fun mood (It was April Fool’s Day) so I added some sprinkles.
- For my morning snack I had a duo (wheat and white) mini bagel with a quarter of an avocado mashed between the slices. I had it with a coffee before I had to dash off to a meeting, and it kept me going.
- I was hungry by lunchtime though. I got out for a walk in the sun and fresh air before coming back to a yummy salad. I had spinach, roasted cauliflower, cucumber and roasted sweet potato with some shop bought low fat hummus (It’s made with chickpeas, does that count?). On the side/to follow I had an apple. I can’t remember what variety these were, but I’m not a great fan!
- I’ve got a bit of a thing for chia puddings this week, so on the coach on the way home I ate my prepared chia pudding. This was simply a shop bought peach yogurt with chia seeds stirred in. It was really nice because I don’t usually buy myself fruit yogurts – I try to steer clear of the added sugars – so it felt like a luxurious treat. It wasn’t a fat free yogurt either. But it didn’t fill me up as much as I thought it would for something full of protein, good fats and fibre??
- I went to yoga when I got home, and on to the gym to get a bit of a sweat on (I know, I know, but if i don’t get a sweat on I don’t feel that I’ve worked). When I got home, I quickly grilled a peppered quorn steak and some red onion. I added it to a corn mountain bread wrap with some spinach and broccoli pasta sauce (ingredients: Ripe Italian Tomato Purée (78%), Spinach (6%), Broccoli (4%), Carrots, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil.). I just realised I was supposed to add grated cheese – but I forgot. I served some slices of Crown Prince Squash sprinkled with cinnamon on the side. I’m not such a fan of Crown Prince – or at least this one, it doesn’t have much taste. I much prefer the kabocha I had last week!
So last week I didn’t plan enough food, and ended up having to top up. This week I planned and forgot to add stuff. I feel like Goldilocks – perhaps next week I will get it ‘juuusst right’!
How many portions of fruit and veg to you eat in a day? Do you ever plan your meals in advance and forget something?