Monday was, of course St Patrick’s Day, so I pledged to eat everything green – for the whole day. Which I thought would make a great What I ate Wednesday post. I love a challenge 🙂
I’m actually English, so why celebrate the Irish Saint – well, because I love a challenge – didn’t I just say that.
Shh…it’s a secret – one of those skeletons in the closet – but I think there is some Irish blood in the family a few generations ago…
Anyways…to the food!
- I started the day the best green way I know how – Green smoothie with a green tea on the side – the smears on the mug? This is matcha green tea. In my smoothie: Spinach, green grapes, 1/2 banana, kefir, chia seeds, spirulina and lucuma. It was actually really good.
- A few hours later I had a second ‘breakfast’. A small bowl of porridge made with unsweetened almond milk with a bit of spinach thrown in to make it green.
- For lunch I made egg white wraps – the first time I’ve tried it, and they were really great made in my new frying pan. Simply egg whites (from a carton) with a heaped teaspoon of coconut flour, and some low fat pesto stirred in – though it flavoured it nicely it didn’t add the green I was hoping for 😦 I filled my wraps with quinoa mixed with tenderstem broccoli and steamed asparagus. I really liked these, and will make again! To follow I had an apple (I considered buying a green apple for the occasion, but just used what I had, it had patches of green on it!) and some plain yogurt which I coloured with spirulina 🙂
- As a snack before my gym session I had a matcha protein fudge bar.
- For dinner I made courgette noodles, brown rice spaghetti and peas in an avocado sauce – simply avocado, cottage cheese and nutritional yeast – one of my favourites!
It was quite fun for a challenge – but I prefer to taste a rainbow!
What are your favourite green foods? What have you been eating lately?
Tagged: avocado sauce, breakfast, challenge, courgette noodles, dinner, green, green smoothie, Lunch, Matcha, matcha green tea, snacks, Spinach, spirulina, St Patrick's Day, What I ate Wednesday, WIAW