It’s Monday morning. It’s also St Particks Day.
I was going to go in with a green St Patrick’s Day treat, but actually, I think we all need cake! Try this nutty St Clement’s Cake – made without flour, it can easily be made gluten free, and it’s full of healthy fats and fibre to get you through the week.
Orange and Lemon St Clement’s cake
- Put the whole oranges and lemons (peel and all) into a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Alternatively, cover with water and put in the slow cooker until cooked through – you will need to blend the fruit so you want to ensure they really ARE cooked through!
- Preheat the oven to 170C, grease and flour a 22cm loose-bottomed tin with gluten free flour – I used a sprinkle of coconut flour.
- Drain the orange and lemons and put them (still peel and all) into a blender and pulse until they are smooth.
- Place the citrus pulp, eggs, coconut sugar, almonds, pistachios and baking powder and beat until combined
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, leave to cool and turn out.
- Lovely with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, drizzled with honey.
Are you eating/wearing green for St Patrick’s Day today?