To be honest I kind of left my WIAW to the last minute again (almost – this is Monday’s eats) so I had forgotten that it is Love your veggies Month – so how did I do without giving it
much any thought?
- I started the day with a green smoothie, made with: spinach, banana, blueberries, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, and with added spirulina, maca, lucuma and wheatgrass. On the side I had toasted gluten free bread with mashed banana.
- I intended to have my nakd bar with a cup of tea, but the popcorn bag had burst in my rucksack – so I had my Proper Corn popcorn
- For lunch I had beetroot hummus – made by blitzing cooked beetroot into shop bought hummus. I sandwiched it between a slice of toasted rye bread with some celery sticks on the side. I followed my sandwich with plain yogurt and an apple.
- I ate my nakd bar on the coach home. Cocoa delight – it was very nice indeed with chunks of cashew and a chocolately flavour – probably a bit high in sugar really, but hey, it’s good quality sugar! Probably for the best that I didn’t have the popcorn – that would have been more messy.
- For dinner I had ‘lasagne’ that I made in advance. I used Mountain corn wraps in place of pasta, and I used Quorn mince. I’m not sure how I feel about quorn. It’s low fat and a good vegetarian alternative to meat – but at the same time, it’s highly processed. It breaks the rules of not eating food that your Grandma wouldn’t recognise – and it took me a while to learn to say ‘quorn’ let alone ‘micoprotein’ – not something you come across at the local greengrocer or butcher (if you catch my drift). Anyway, I had tomatoes and mushrooms in my lasagne with garlic and flavoured with a dash of vegan Worcester sauce. Topped with cottage cheese and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour – it was yummy and I’m glad I left it for 24 hours – it was so much better!
Turns out it was another meatfree/meatless monday 🙂
So on the vegetable front I had: spinach, beetroot, (does the hummus count as some chickpeas???), celery, tomatoes and mushrooms – in addition I also had apple, banana, blueberries and dried fruit in the nakd bar. I guess the corn wrap doesn’t count 🙂
I could have improved it by having more salad at lunchtime and serving my lasagne with a nice green side vegetable – perhaps broccoli or peas – yum!
Lent starts this time next week? Do you observe it in anyway? Get your thinking caps on 🙂
What have you been eating lately? Have you been getting lots of veggies in? How do you feel about Quorn products?