Mmm…How do you fancy a chocolate cake which is great for your skin?
I keep reading how sugar damages the collagen in your skin and gives you wrinkles, so how about a chocolate cake choc full of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which protects your cells from damage, as well supporting healthy hair and clear glowing skin.
With only a little added sugar in the form of honey, this cake may not make you beautiful, but it’s full of nutritious ingredient whilst being so delicious you won’t believe that it’s good for you!
So what is the secret ingredient? Read on to find out…
Oh yeah! This beauty of a cake is made with gorgeously creamy avocado, and is choc full of almonds and walnuts.
Ok, so it’s not low fat, but it is full of healthy fats, which are great for your skin and help you to absorb other nutrients. I think you can enjoy a slice of this cake guilt free!
- Avocados contain in excess of 25 essential nutrients, including vitamin A, B, C, E, & K (Vitamin K supports blood sugar regulation), copper, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. The fats they contain (oleic acid) are anti-inflammatory helping to protect you from a range of illnesses caused by excess inflammation from cancer to heart disease and diabetes.
- Walnuts contain certain phytonutrients, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits and found in almost no other food. But to get them you have to eat the skin of the nut – in this cake you won’t even realise it’s there. A quarter of a cup (ok, so you’d have to eat the whole cake) gives you 95% of your daily omega 3 needs, which improves your cardiovascular functions and lowers blood pressure. In addition, walnuts contain vitamin E, manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, selenium, and folic acid all of which aid efficient digestion and metabolism, support proper brain function and help to regulate your mood keeping you happy and healthy.
- Almonds are a great source of protein, with a quarter of a cup providing 8 grams – 2 grams more than the protein found in a typical egg! They are filled with the heart-healthy fats which lower cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease and antioxidants, which prevent the cell damage that causes chronic diseases.They also contain manganese which is essential for bone, nerve and thyroid health, as well as controlling your cholesterol levels.
All sooooo good… so let’s get to the recipe
Chocolate Avocado cake with almonds and walnuts
inspired by Living Healthy with Chocolate
- 2 medium avocado, mashed (yeild approx 200g)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 heaped tablespoons coconut cream (cream that forms on the top of a can of coconut milk when can is left in the fridge overnight)
- 3 tablespoons honey (use rice syrup or maple syrup for a vegan version)
- 2 eggs
- 50g cup walnut halves
- 180g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30g raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 75g bar of chocolate
- Put the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until broken down into choc chip sized pieces. Empty into a large mixing bowl
- Place the chocolate in the food processor and pulse until broken down into choc chip sized pieces. Put 2/3 of the chocolate in with the walnuts and reserve the other 1/3.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, cacao powder, salt and chocolate chips to the walnuts and chocolate chips
- Put the avocado into the food processor and pulse until creamy. Add the coconut oil, vanilla, coconut cream, honey and eggs to the avocado and process until combined.
- combine wet and dry ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into a half sized loaf tin lined with parchment paper and sprinkle top with remaining chocolate chips. Note: the batter will be very thick and you will need to spread it across the pan with a spatula.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes
- Let it cool in the paper before you remove it to allow it to set properly. Keep inside an airtight container and store in refrigerator