I can be really good at meal prep. I try to get the next day’s breakfast and lunch sorted when I’m making dinner in the evening. But other days I just can’t be fussed! Usually when I’ve had a busy evening, or a yoga session that made me feel just a bit too chilled!
I’m visiting my sister this weekend. I go straight from work to hers and will be staying the night. So that meant extra meal prep on Thursday evening.
Having been to the gym and had dinner after work, I set about getting some Clean and Lean meals ready. So that is how I came to be making 2 breakfasts, 2 green smoothies, 2 lunches and a dinner at 8pm on a Thursday night
That doesn’t include my lunch or green smoothie I had already packed for the day ahead.
I know some people are really good at meal prep, and will spend a whole day dedicated to making lunches/meals for the week. My trouble is, I’m a bit of a ‘taster’ so if something looks good, I’ll have a nibble, you know, just to make sure 🙂 So if I have too many yummy things on the go at once it can be a bit of a disaster. Even clean and lean food will add pounds if you are eating several meals in one go 🙂
So what did I do?
I put a selection of veg in the oven while we were eating dinner, and put some green lentils on the hob. I had some fresh kale in the fridge perfect for salads. I made a double batch of smoothie and poured into two jars. I know they are best fresh, but needs must.
I boiled an egg for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking the lentils, and then I was ready to assemble my meals:
- 1 salad of curly kale, roasted cauliflower and butternut squash topped with green lentils and a boiled egg
- 1 salad of curly kale, raw red cabbage, roasted aubergine and organic feta cheese
- 1 dinner of half a roast aubergine with a tomato and onion filling, topped with organic goats cheese
- 2 smoothies made with spinach, celery, kiwi fruit and avocado
- 1 bowl of overnight oats with brown rice milk, chia seeds and frozen summer fruits
- 1 spriulna and ginseng Bounce ball for emergencies
After all that I couldn’t be fussed to make breakfast for the next day, so I had a quick breakfast of gluten-free toast with mixed nut butter and warmed summer fruits with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Do you do meal preparation? Or are you more spur of the moment?