Oh my goodness, I think I’m in love. I had sweet (no added sugar) grain free porridge for dinner – yes, porridge made without oats – and it was great!!!
I first saw the idea pop up in my stream on Pinterest. My initial thought was – YUK, quickly follow by – “I wanna try that!”
It came from Vanessa Romero at Healthy Living How To
So what IS it made from? Read on to find out…
Ok, yes, that was my reaction too. But come on – sounds bizarre, but you want to try it…right? Just me? Come on!
How about a savoury version then?
You know you wanna! Oh dear, now I sound like Robin Thicke.
Bring on the recipe:
- 100g cauliflower processed to a chunky cous cous texture
- 80ml unsweetened almond milk
- 10g ground flaxseed/linseed
- 1 medium egg
- 160ml water
For a sweet version
- 20g vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Berries, to serve
For a savoury version
- 10g nutritional yeast
- pinch salt
- Place the cauliflower, almond milk and water in a saucepand and over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Beat in the egg, the flax and the nutritional yeast or cinnamon and protein powder.
- Turn off the heat place on the lid and allow to complete cooking/set. Add more liquid if you desire
- Top with berries for a sweet dish or serve as an accompaniment to meat or fish.
Once you get past the weirdness of the recipe, note that cauliflower is really good for you. Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C and a good source of Vitamin K, folic acid, Vitamin B6 and Potassium.