Have you ever seen the file Ratatouille, from Disney Pixar? I love a good Disney film 🙂In the film, they make a ratatouille for the evil restaurant critic and…well, I won’t spoil the end for you 😀
Anyway, the ratatouille they make is a pile of cooked fresh vegetables – and it looks beautiful. Nothing like the ‘mush’ of tomatoes, aubergine and courgettes that you often see sold as ratatouille.
I know, I know – it’s a cartoon. So I didn’t think too much on it.
I had to use the ‘best’ ingredients, so I used the organic aubergine I bought, the courgette from my colleague’s Dad’s garden 🙂 and some organic tomatoes I bought from the supermarket, especially for the dish.
Ben won’t eat it, so that’s 3 1/2 of my 5 a day all in one hit – fab!
I used my mandoline to slice up my vegetables. Then I gave up and used a knife. I usually get Ben to mandoline for me, but he was busy 😦
Ok, so not as beautiful as Danielle’s, but I was happy!
- 80g aubergine/eggplant, thinly sliced
- 80g courgette/zucchini, thinly sliced
- 100g fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 40g (1/2 a medium) onion, thinly sliced
- garlic and your favourite dried herbs
- drizzle olive oil (optional)
It really is as easy as preheating the oven, layering the veg, sprinkling with herbs and baking in the oven with a drizzle of oil if desired. You want stages, ok:
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Spritz your baking tin or casserole dish with low calorie spray
- Layer up your vegetables
- sprinkle with your favourite dried herbs – I used my Halzephron Tuscan herbs – and some sliced or crushed garlic
- drizzle with olive oil if using.
- bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking – I like them just slightly going brown.
- Serve on it’s own, or as a side dish.
Have you ever been inspired to cook something from a film?