This is a super way to start your day. it’s a real stick-to-your-ribs type porridge that will fill you up for hours.
Porridge used to be my favourite breakfast, and I would have it every morning without fail, often topped with banana slices for sweetness.
I tend to enjoy a bit more variety in my breakfast these days, but porridge remains a popular choice for me.
I’ve often heard that protein at breakfast is a great way to start your day, and keep you satisfied until lunch, but eggs don’t always hit the spot – especially when you don’t eat bread. In the past I would have enjoyed eggs on toast, or boiled eggs with soldiers.
I like to tweak a recipe and although I made pumpkin oats before, I thought there was too much pumpkin. This time I added chia seeds for added omega 3. Chia is rich in protein and high in Omega 3s so it is great for those who don’t eat oily fish as part of their diet.
High protein porridge
- 40g jumbo oats, certified gluten free if necessary
- 100ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 small banana, about 75g
- 10g chia seeds
- 75g egg white
- honey and cacao nibs to serve
- Combine the oats, chia seeds and almond milk in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Mash or slice the banana into chunks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
- By now the oats should be bubbling, stir the egg white and banana into the oats, and beat vigorously.
- They’re done when the liquid has been absorbed and there is no sign of egg whites.
- Serve and top with your desired toppings – I like a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cacao nibs.