Now the weather is getting colder, I wanted a more hearty salad. I’ve not yet progressed to hot lunches, but a salad of romaine leaves is leaving me feeling a bit short (I know, I know, I AM short)
I bought some kale from the farmer’s market, and instead of serving it as a side vegetable, I decided to make a hearty salad for lunch.
It was quite good fun massaging the dressing into the kale – the directions I read said to keep at it until your hands hurt 🙂 I thought of it like kneading dough, a good stress relief, like using a stress ball.
I kept my salad dressing quite simple, but you could throw in some garlic, which would be great, or in another meal I might add nutritional yeast – I love that stuff!
Marinated kale salad
- 60g kale
- 60g red cabbage
- 60g beansprouts
For the dressing
- 30g avocado
- probiotic drink – to taste
- apple cider vinegar
- Make your dressing by mashing the avocado with some probiotic drink and apple cider vinegar – add a few drops and taste as you go. I had the yogurt left after making overnight oats.
- Pour or dollop the dressing onto the kale and start massaging – yep, get your hands in there and get dirty. It will probably take a good 5 minutes of rubbing. Get your partner (if you have one) to rub your shoulders as you go 🙂
- Add the chopped red cabbage and beansprouts and season to taste with salad and pepper.
- serve with protein of your choice.