Wow I was intrigued by Kath Eats Real Food, Tempeh and jam sandwiches.
WEIRD! I didn’t think of pairing something savoury, like tempeh with jam! But then I got thinking, I guess tempeh and chutney wouldn’t be so strange, and chutney is just vegetable jam. So I googled and Pinterest-ed it, and there were loads of options with tempeh, jam and cheese. Wow!
I’m not eating bread, so I had to think about what I would do instead, and then I realised, I didn’t need to do anything! Tempeh would make an excellent ‘sandwich’ on its own with berry-mush and melted cheese sandwiched between.
I couldn’t wait to give it a go. I had it all planned out for Friday morning. BUT – horror, my mail order tempeh didn’t come on Thursday as expected.
I slowly came to terms with the idea, and made do on Friday with a protein shake with chia seeds.
Ben text me during the day on Friday – IT HAD COME!
I made jam for my breakfast rice – I did the same thing here with the blackberries. Simply mash the berries and add chia seeds to thicken and add nutrition.
Cheesy blackberry tempeh triangles
- 50g blackberries
- 5g chia seeds
- 100g tempeh
- 20g Babybel light
- Mash the blackberries and add the chia seeds. Set to one side.
- Slice your tempeh in half through the ‘equator’.
- Heat a health grill or frying pan and add your tempeh. Grill until just starting to brown.
- Add the blackberry jam to one side of the tempeh, slice the cheese and place on the jam. Sandwich the other slice of tempeh on top.
- Continue to grill, flipping if you are using a frying pan, until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the grill and slice diagonally. ENJOY!
What flavour combinations have you been surprised by?