I think the first time Ben had pulled pork was at a food festival. It was deliciously juicy and melt-in-your-mouth. The BBQ sauce added a smoky kick which was complimented by creamy mayonnaise and crisp iceberg lettuce.
I knew that the day would come when I had to recreate this dish. I wanted to use up some of the BBQ sauce I bought to get Ben to try the sweet potatoes. I knew the day had come.
I’m not usually one for bought sauces, preferring to make my own, so I get a little stressed out knowing that something less healthy lurks in my cupboard. Give a girl her due, I do make sure I buy the best I can find (and then feed it to my husband, keeping homemade for myself )
I didn’t think the original pulled pork was terribly healthy, so I had to put my own Emily-slant on it.
Pulled Chicken Roll
- 1 Chicken breast
- 25g BBQ sauce, shop bought or make your own
- 50g tomato salsa, shop bought or make your own
- Worcester sauce to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Combine the BBQ sauce, tomato salsa and worcester sauce.
- Put a big dollop of the sauce in the bottom of a baking pan
- Place the chicken breast on top, and nestle it in. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the chicken. Cover with a lid, or with tin foil to keep the juices in.
- Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is almost cooked. Remove lid/foil and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken.
- Remove from the oven. Shred the chicken breast using two forks and mix well into the sauce.
- Pile into a white bap and serve.
I had trouble deciding if this was a bap, bun or roll. Which would you call it?