I really enjoyed my Zen bowl, I made a couple of weeks ago. In fact, I have made several variations on the theme. But I wanted to share this one in particular.
My last one was made with eggs, but I wanted to show that vegan can be just as tasty with this vegan tofu version.
In order to get a nice scramble texture I removed as much water as possible by pressing the tofu.
I wrapped the tofu in kitchen paper, gave it a good squeeze, and placed it in a tupperware bowl weighed down by the chopped carrot and left it in the fridge overnight.
Of all the vegetable combinations I’ve tried – including butternut squash, sauerkraut, broccoli, mushrooms – my favourite was the first I tried: carrots and spinach. All topped with creamy avocado.
I’ve tried different grains, and have tried legumes in place of the quinoa. The variations worked well, but I tried quinoa again.
I put mine in a tupperware box for lunch, my last egg bowl was served straight from the pan.
Zen Tofu scramble
- 75g-100g silken (or firm) tofu
- 40g carrots, shredded
- 40g spinach
- 1 tsp curry powder of your choice
- To serve: 30g avocado, 1 portion quinoa, cooked.
- Place tofu in some kitchen paper and give it a squeeze to remove excess water.
- You can use it now, or wrap it in fresh kitchen paper and press it overnight for a firmer texture.
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Fry/lightly steam the carrot in a frying pan. Place a glass lid over the top to keep the excess liquid in.
- Remove lid to allow water to evaporate. Add curry spices and give it a quick stir – don’t let it catch.
- Crumble tofu over the top of the pan. Keep it moving, but try not to break the tofu up.
- Add tofu and place the lid back on again to allow it to wilt in the heat.
- Allow to cool for lunch, or serve with the quinoa, topped with the slices of avocado.
Do you stick to one recipe or do you like to play with it and change things up? What are your favourite recipes?