Oh yeah! I mastered the protein pancakes! I tweaked the recipe a little, and tried a new cooking technique. Whoop whoop!
I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!
The trouble was that my batter kept sticking to the bottom of my frying pan before the pancake had set. When I tried to turn it, it stuck to the bottom and the top became a wrinkled mess.
I started by cooking at a lower heat. This helped to encourage the pancakes not to burn on the bottom, but I still had problems with it not setting on the top while cooking on the bottom.
I used a method I have been using on my Zen bowls to ensure the egg comes away from the bottom of the pan…
I put a lid on it 🙂
Its great because it keeps the moisture in which stops it sticking; and (I guess) makes it like an oven so it cooks right through.
Ok, so they stuck a little, but they were much better.
I think I will call them power protein pancakes!
Popeye got his strength from spinach, while I love spinach, I will get my strength from pancakes!
I never thought I would be able to enjoy ‘healthy’ pancakes, and that they were forever resigned to being a treat for Ben on a Sunday morning.
“Easy like a Sunday morning…”
In fact, still have these as your Sunday morning treat – your body will thank you for it. Go out and buy the ingredients now! Then it is all on hand for breakfast tomorrow!
Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- 20g jumbo rolled oats (gluten free if required), processed to a rough flour
- 15g protein powder, I used chocolate
- 10g milled flax/linseed
- 70g egg white
- 45ml unsweetened almond milk
- pinch of baking powder (gluten free)
- Put the oats in your food processor, and blitz to make a coarse flour.
- Add in all the other ingredients and combine
- Heat the frying pan to hot and add spoonfuls of batter, I like to make a few smaller pancakes – I think 3 or 4 out of this mixture.
- Turn it down to a medium heat, place a lid over the top so they part steam/bake.
- When the top is set and starting to form bubbles remove from the heat.
- Flip the pancakes. Return to the heat to seal the other side.
- Serve with coconut cream, yoghurt, banana soft serve or fruit of your choice.
What’s your favourite Sunday morning breakfast?