Happy weekend! Or at least happy weekend for those who work Monday-Friday. Sorry if you don’t.
In honour of the sunshine I will post a couple of vegan/vegetarian barbeque treats. There’s no reason why vegetarians and vegans should miss out on yummy barbeque foods.
I made Tempeh kebabs and Tempeh mock tuna, which I stuffed into some large flat mushrooms, yum!
I’ve discussed the health benefits of tempeh before. The trouble for me, is that I’m the only one in the house who will eat it – all the more for me. I started by cutting the block into 4 equal sized pieces, and steamed them. Tempeh doesn’t need to be steamed before cooking, but I find it helps if you find it too bitter out of the package. I don’t mind the taste, but it does help to infuse flavour if you add it to the cooking water.
Once I had steamed my tempeh, I cubed it and I marinated it using:
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
you could also add some sweetness in there: honey, maple syrup, rice syrup would all work well.
I left it in the fridge overnight. When ready to cook, alternate pieces of tempeh with vegetables, I used mushrooms and roasted cubes of aubergine. You could use so many different vegetables for different textures. I like: peppers, any colour; onion, white or red; courgette; cherry tomatoes; mushrooms; aubergine cubes etc
Grill on the BBQ, or on a health food grill until the vegetables are soft and the tempeh is cooked through.
Mock Tuna stuffed peppers
- 50g tempeh (pre-steaming is optional)
- 60g celery, chopped
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp vegan Worcester sauce (I used Biona)
- 30g vegan mayonnaise, tofu or for non-vegans, cottage cheese.
- Mash or process the mayonnaise (tofu or cottage cheese) until smooth.
- Stir in the mustard and Worcester sauce
- Crumble in the tempeh and stir in with the celery
- Fill a large mushroom with the mixture and bake in the oven, or place on the barbeque. If barbequed, be careful not to lose the filling onto the hot coals 🙂
- If you like, you can add some melty cheese or vegan ‘cheese’ on top for the last couple of minutes.
- Serve with greenery – salad or green vegetables.
Have a great weekend!