Has anyone been enjoying Wimbledon? SPOILERS… I can’t particularly say I enjoyed Roger Federer going out last night! There is a history of everyone watching it in separate rooms in my family. The tension will be high, there is division in the ranks, someone will make that inevitable but really annoying comment
Come on! I can do better than that!
Yeah Nan, sure you can. You’re 77!
At times like this I am thankful I don’t live at home anymore 🙂 I decided to get into the Wimbledon spirit by making strawberries and cream quinoa parfait for breakfast – Yum!
I saw a tip for keeping your strawberries in ‘peak condition’:
I only had kale in the fridge, so I wonder if that will work?
I shall see how well they keep wrapped up in my kale leaf 🙂
Strawberries and cream are synonymous with Wimbledon, but I can’t be doing with all that cream. So instead I used 0% fat Greek yoghurt. I forgot how much I like Greek yoghurt – rich and creamy, but 0% fat. I’m sure whipped coconut cream will be a delicious vegan alternative.
I still had some rhubarb, and strawberries and rhubarb are almost as good as strawberries and cream, so I knew I would be on to a winner! I thought I would change things up by using quinoa rather than oats in this breakfast extravaganza. We all know the nutritional benefits of quinoa, if not check it out on this blog post.
Strawberries and Cream Quinoa Parfait
- 70g cooked quinoa
- 60g rhubarb, chopped into 2cm long pieces
- pinch of cinnamon
- 60g strawberries
- 100g 0% fat Greek Yoghurt (or whipped coconut cream)
- Toppings – I used carrot cake granola
- Stew the rhubarb with a splash of water for 5-10 minutes. If you put a lid on it keeps the liquid in and speeds up the cooking
- Stir in the quinoa and cinnamon. Add sugar to taste, but bear in mind that the strawberries will add sweetness.
- Leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning (or in the evening if you are serving as dessert) slice the strawberries. The strawberries will taste better at room temperature. Layer into a glass or serving dish, starting with the quinoa mixture, then add half the strawberry slices, next add half the Greek yoghurt. Repeat the process.
- Finish with a sprinkling of carrot cake granola, or a sprinkle of seeds etc for crunch. Enjoy.
Have you been watching Wimbledon? Who are you supporting?